MindEdge's Basic Math and Statistics for Healthcare
MindEdge's Basic Math and Statistics for Healthcare learning resource provides a comprehensive course in the mathematical and statistical knowledge needed for the healthcare professions. With real-world examples from the field of healthcare, students practice skills ranging from solving basic arithmetic equations to interpreting the kind of complex statistical data that they will encounter in published healthcare research. The learning resource draws on video, graphics, slideshows, and case studies to convey mathematical concepts and techniques, while students achieve mastery by engaging with exercises, puzzles, games, review tests, and problem sets. The adaptive learning included throughout the learning resource allows students to pinpoint weaknesses in their skills to more efficiently master the material.
The learning resource is designed to address the needs of students with a range of mathematical competencies. The early modules lay a solid foundation in arithmetic and algebraic expressions and equations, including those involving integers, fractions, and decimals. Later modules teach the fundamentals of statistics and data interpretation. Learners study quantitative decision-making tools and techniques, which tie into real-world, healthcare case studies.
This modular course can be tailored to your school with webtexts, ebooks, and optional trade paperbacks available. It seamlessly integrates into all learning management systems.
MindEdge's Basic Math and Statistics for Healthcare content builds skills in:
- Simplifying expressions involving positive and negative integers, fractions, and decimals
- Solving algebraic equations by performing addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division
- Understanding and working with percentages
- Graphing points and lines on coordinate axes
- Working with inequalities
- Calculating the mean, median, mode, quartiles, range and interquartile range on a set of quantitative data
- Evaluating data and identifying the best form for displaying statistical data for one variable from several different kinds of graphs: bar chart, pie chart, histogram, stem plot and box plot.
- Identifying the appropriate numerical measures of and graphical display for a given classification in different contexts of statistics in two variables
- Working with conditional percentages in a two-way table
- Understanding regression analysis
- Understanding, interpreting, and estimating correlation between two variables
- Calculating probabilities and conditional probabilities
- Understanding and recognizing dependent, independent, and disjoint events
- Calculating probabilistic unions and intersections
- Constructing frequency tables and probability trees
The seven modules of this learning resource are as follows:
- Basic Numeracy and Calculation Skills
- Fractions, Decimals, and Percentages
- Basic Algebra
- Descriptive Statistics for a Single Variable
- Descriptive Statistics for Two Variables
- Correlation and Regression